WHAT WE DO TO TRAIN PROVIDERS IN CAMS
Developed by Dr. Jobes over decades of clinical trial research, there is very little that compares to CAMS in terms of its robust evidence-base, its flexibility, and the relative ease of learning to use it with fidelity.
The CAMS-care integrated training model provides a spectrum of experiences that optimizes the learner’s understanding of how to use CAMS adherently within clinical practice across different treatment settings and clinical populations. Implementation and dissemination science has clearly shown that an integrative approach to training that uses several modalities for learning improves clinicians’ learning and adaptation of new skills. Our integrative training model enables most clinicians to become adherent to this evidence-based approach with their first CAMS patient and clinicians frequently report our training model provides them with the confidence and clarity to use CAMS effectively with patients.
Our Optimal Path for Training in CAMS Consists of 4 Components:
Managing Suicidal Risk, A Collaborative Approach, 2nd Edition.
• Incorporates a decade’s worth of extensive clinical research.
• Fully revised with a greater focus on CAMS as a framework for clinical intervention—not just assessment.
• In-depth case example followed throughout the book.
• Describes innovations to the approach, such as how to target and treat patient-defined “suicidal drivers.”
• Additional reproducibles (CAMS Therapeutic Worksheet and CAMS Rating Scale), plus a new version of the Suicide Status Form.
Three Hour Video Overview of the CAMS Model presented by the Creator of CAMS, David A. Jobes, Ph.D.
• Unscripted clinical demonstration of the use of CAMs with a patient through the course of 12 sessions
• Demonstration of techniques to reduce access to lethal means
• Development of a viable CAMS Stabilization Plan
• Identification of direct and indirect drivers of suicide
• Creation of a collaborative treatment plan
• Not to be missed set-back session and resolution
PRACTICAL ROLE-PLAY TRAINING
In Person Immersive Experience in the Use of CAMS
• Interactive exercises to practice using CAMS
• Demonstrations of the use of CAMS in live unscripted role plays
• Group discussions to strategize challenging case presentations, different techniques and tactics, and application to specific patient populations
• Recommendations for implementation in systems
• Opportunity for one on one questions with trainers
CAMS Consultation Calls
Hour Long Phone Meetings for Clinicians
After completing either the CAMS Book, On-Line Video Course and/or CAMS Practical Role Play Training
• Expert consultants answer questions that arise as providers use CAMS with patients
• Case presentations with suggestions and feedback
• Tips and strategies for addressing access to lethal means
• Specific coping strategies and treatment modalities for treating suicidal drivers
• How to address set-backs and maintaining a collaborative approach
• Available for groups or individuals
CAMS-care can accommodate different tailored training for the use of CAMS for individuals and for groups. Our recommended learning path for individuals is to read the CAMS book, take the CAMS Online Course and arrange for CAMS Consultation Calls. For groups, our team will work closely with you to determine the best approach and combination of components to meet your goals. The CAMS-care team continues to study all permutations of the training model to find optimal, efficient, and cost-effective approaches to learning to use CAMS.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who should get training in CAMS?
Do you offer certification in CAMS?
How long does it take to become proficient at using CAMS with patients?
Do you have a Train the Trainer Program?
We are participating in "Zero Suicide;" how can we go about implementing CAMS in our organization?
Can we work with CAMS-care for training using Garrett Lee Smith Act (GLS) grant funds?
Couldn’t find the answer?